All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.10
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.77
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $88.03
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.00
- AU $20.47Trending at AU $21.08
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $53.75
- AU $30.45Trending at AU $51.44
About this product
- DescriptionJAYA is a study of how the four poets of the Indian epic Mahabharata fuse their separate performances of the poem into a single and seamless work of art. The book examines in detail the different mnemonic forms engaged by this verbal activity focusing primarily on the distinction between what is seen and what is heard, as the poets stage and dramatize the four dimensions of their heroic song within one timely occasion. The subtle poetics of preliteracy and literacy which are compounded in one performance are demonstrated and made distinct in both a literary and a conceptual light. JAYA will be of interest to those who work in Sanskrit and Indian Studies, the Classics, Oral Traditions, Comparative Literature, and the traditions of archaic poetry.
- Author BiographyKevin McGrath is an Associate of the Department of Sanskrit and Indian Studies at Harvard University.
- Author(s)Kevin McGrath
- PublisherHarvard University, Center for Hellenic Studies
- Date of Publication01/11/2011
- SubjectNon-Christian Religions
- Series TitleIlex Series
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHarvard University, Center for Hellenic Studies
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight181 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine5 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.