Jazz Composition and Arranging in the Digital Age by Michael Abene, Richard Sussman (Paperback, 2012)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $85.58+ AU $10.00 postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by roxy*books
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $64.94+ AU $4.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.34Trending at AU $49.62
- AU $77.99Trending at AU $116.74
- AU $28.60Trending at AU $31.14
- AU $70.35Trending at AU $77.45
- AU $74.11Trending at AU $76.83
- AU $35.47Trending at AU $39.18
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.70
About this product
- DescriptionJazz Composition and Arranging In the Digital Age is a comprehensive and practical instructional book and reference guide on the art and craft of jazz composition and arranging for small and large ensembles. In this book, veteran composers and arrangers Richard Sussman and Michael Abene combine their extensive years of experience as musicians and instructors to demonstrate how advances in music techlogy and software may be integrated with traditional compositional concepts to form a new and more efficient paradigm for the creative process. This book builds on material and issues treated in traditional jazz composition and arranging courses, including all the fundamental musical techniques and information associated with jazz arranging and composition instruction. In addition, each chapter of the book also contains specific examples demonstrating the effective utilization of music software as applied to the realization of these techniques. Software is employed both as both a learning tool in the form of examples and exercises, and as a practical tool illustrating how many modern day composer/arrangers are utilizing these techniques successfully in the real world. The book also offers several chapters devoted exclusively to the creative use of music techlogy and software. The extensive companion website provides listening examples for each chapter as well as enhanced software tips, expanded and additional music examples, and appendices of , basic principles and an expanded recommended listening list for further study.
- Author BiographyIn addition to his many accomplishments as a jazz pianist, composer, and arranger, Richard Sussman has also achieved widespread acclaim as a jazz educator, clinician, and music technologist. He has been a member of the Jazz Composition faculty at Manhattan School of Music for over 25 years, where his duties have included teaching undergraduate and graduate level courses in jazz arranging, as well as the direction of all aspects of Music Technology and Software within the Jazz Program. Richard Sussman received the prestigious ASCAP award for Jazz Composition in 2008, honoring jazz legend Hank Jones. Richard went on to work as an arranger with Hank on several projects, including a concert with the acclaimed Metropole Orchestra of Amsterdam. Richard was the last arranger to work with Hank Jones prior to his passing in May 2010. Michael Abene is widely acknowledged to be one of the greatest living jazz composer/arrangers, and the list of artists he has collaborated with reads like a modern day Who's Who of jazz. Michael is also a greatly respected jazz educator. In addition to teaching jazz composition and arranging at the Manhattan School of Music, Mr. Abene co-directed the BMI Jazz Composers Workshop for many years. He is also a much sought after guest conductor and clinician. Michael has been director of the esteemed WDR Radio Big Band of Cologne, Germany since 2003. .
- Author(s)Michael Abene,Richard Sussman
- PublisherOxford University Press Inc
- Date of Publication23/02/2012
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOxford University Press Inc
- Content Noterichly illustrated with extensive musical examples throughout
- Weight1240 g
- Width216 mm
- Height278 mm
- Spine24 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.