All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.45
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $116.63
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.74
- AU $49.77Trending at AU $51.97
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $104.72
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $88.64
- AU $86.99Trending at AU $96.58
About this product
- DescriptionPart music history, part cultural meditation, part travel narrative, Jazz Journeys to Japan is the first book to address the experiences of individual players -- Japanese jazz greats such as Toshiko Akiyoshi, Masahiko Satoh, Makoto Ozone, and Yosuke Yamashita.William Mir navigates the converging streams of Western music and Eastern tradition, revealing through interviews with musicians, critics, and producers the unique synthesis that results from this convergence. And, turning conventional wisdom on its ear, he disproves the widely held tion that Japanese jazz artists don't swing. Along the way, we experience Mir's growing appreciation of Japanese culture, which mirrors his subjects' discovery of American jazz.William Mir's previous books include <i>Unzipped Souls: A Jazz Journey through the Soviet Union</i>, and <i>Monterey Jazz Festival: Forty Legendary Years</i>. He has written for <i>Downbeat</i>, <i>Jazz Times</i>, <i>Jazz Notes</i>, <i>Coda</i>, and <i>Swing Journal</i>.
- Author(s)William Minor
- PublisherThe University of Michigan Press
- Date of Publication31/05/2004
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Series TitleJazz Perspectives
- Place of PublicationAnn Arbor
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThe University of Michigan Press
- Content NoteIllustrations, ports.
- Weight798 g
- Width158 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine33 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.