All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionJerusalem's formal political borders reveal neither the dynamics of power in the city r the underlying factors that make an agreement between Israel and the Palestinians so difficult. The lines delineating Israeli authority are frequently different from those delineating segregated housing or areas of uneven service provision or parallel national electoral districts of competing educational jurisdictions. In particular, the city's large number of holy sites and restricted religious compounds create enclaves that continually threaten to undermine the Israeli state's authority and control over the city. This lack of congruity between political control and the actual spatial organization and everyday use of the city leaves many areas of occupied East Jerusalem in a kind of twilight zone where citizenship, property rights, and the enforcement of the rule of law are ambiguously applied. Michael Dumper plots a history of Jerusalem that examines this intersecting and multileveled matrix and, in so doing, is able to portray the constraints on Israeli control over the city and the resilience of Palestinian enclaves after forty-five years of Israeli occupation. Adding to this complex mix is the role of numerous external influences-religious, political, financial, and cultural-so that the city is also a crucible for broader contestation. While the Palestinians may t return to their previous preeminence in the city, neither will Israel be able to assert a total and irreversible dominance. His conclusion is that the city will t only have to be shared but that the sharing will be based upon these many borders and the interplay between history, geography, and religion.
- Author BiographyMichael Dumper is professor in Middle East politics at the University of Exeter and the author of The Future of the Palestinian Refugees; The Politics of Sacred Space: The Old City of Jerusalem and the Middle East Conflict, 1967-2000; and The Politics of Jerusalem Since 1967.
- Author(s)Michael Dumper
- PublisherColumbia University Press
- Date of Publication01/07/2014
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintColumbia University Press
- Content NoteB&W Photos: 12,, Maps: 15,, Graphs: 10,
- Weight454 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine30 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $60.67Trending at AU $73.28
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.54
- AU $20.46Trending at AU $26.08
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.78
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.33
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $49.55
- AU $18.16Trending at AU $21.18
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.