All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.86
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.84
- AU $24.98Trending at AU $25.26
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.02
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $37.03
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $47.20
- AU $24.92Trending at AU $28.26
About this product
- DescriptionMany Jewish foods are beloved in American culture. Everyone eats bagels, and the delicatessen is a ubiquitous institution from Manhattan to Los Angeles. Jewish American Food Culture offers readers an in-depth look at both well-kwn and unfamiliar Jewish dishes and the practices and culture of a diverse group of Americans. This is the source to consult about what parve on packaging means, the symbolism of particular foods essential to holiday celebrations, what keeping kosher entails, how meals and food rituals are approached differently depending on ways of practicing Judaism and the land of one's ancestors, and much more. Jonathan Deutsch and Rachel D. Saks first provide a historical overview of the culture and symbolism of Jewish cuisine before explaining the main foods and ingredients of Jewish American food. Chapters on cooking practices, holiday celebrations, eating out, and diet and health complete the overview. Twenty-three recipes, a chrology, a glossary, a resource guide, and a selected bibliography make this an essential one-stop resource for every library.
- Author BiographyJonathan Deutsch is an assistant professor and director of the Culinary Management Center in the Department of Tourism and Hospitality, Kingsborough Community College, City University of New York. He is the coeditor (with Annie Hauck-Lawson) of Gastropolis: Food and New York City. Rachel D. Saks is a nutritionist and a graduate student at New York University. She works as a personal chef and cooking teacher.
- Author(s)Jonathan Deutsch,Rachel D. Saks
- PublisherUniversity of Nebraska Press
- Date of Publication01/10/2009
- SubjectCultural Studies
- Series TitleAt Table
- Place of PublicationNebraska
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBison Books
- Content Note17 images, 2 tables, 23 recipes
- Weight227 g
- Width4039 mm
- Height6147 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.