All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $90.88Trending at AU $92.76
- AU $28.69Trending at AU $30.73
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.60
- AU $44.48Trending at AU $51.92
- AU $78.77Trending at AU $115.92
- AU $34.28Trending at AU $38.56
- AU $44.27Trending at AU $52.71
About this product
- DescriptionIf you were a Bar Mitzvah boy in the postwar years, you probably received a gift called Great Jews in Sports. Your goy friends enjoyed a good snicker when they saw it on the shelf above your desk, but you coveted the volume. It t only supplied a pantheon for you to worship; it served as a refutation of all those cheap stereotypes about effeminate, bookish Jews that followed you to Pop Warner try-outs, and that you were convinced resulted in a condescending ten-steps-forward outfield shift during your turn at-bat. So it is with a humble spirit of deference that editors Franklin Foer and Marc Tracy propose its successor: Jewish Jocks: An Uthodox Hall of Fame, a collection of biographical musings on the most influential Jews in sports. The sports figures profiled in Jewish Jocks go beyond athletes to include coaches, broadcasters, owners, trainers and even statisticians (in the finite universe of Jewish Jocks, they count!) Contributors include some of today's most celebrated writers, such as New Yorker editor David Remnick; velists Jonathan Safran Foer and Booker-prize winner Howard Jacobson; sports writer Buzz Bissinger; ecomist Larry Summers; columnist David Brooks; journalists Jane Leavy, Steven Pinker and Dahlia Lithwick writing on figures such as Howad Cosell, Art Shamsky, Kerri Strug, Harold Solomon, Sandy Koufax, Shirley Povitch, and many, many more.
- Author BiographyFranklin Foer is The New Republic's Editor At Large and a Schwartz Fellow at the New America Foundation. He is the author of the international bestseller How Soccer Explains the World: An Unlikely Theory of Globalization. Marc Tracy is a staff writer at Tablet Magazine. The blog he edits there, The Scroll, won the 2011 National Magazine Award.
- Author(s)Franklin Foer,Marc Tracy
- PublisherLittle, Brown & Company
- Date of Publication31/10/2013
- SubjectGeneral Sport & Fitness Training
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight258 g
- Width132 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.