All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $90.88Trending at AU $93.26
- AU $28.71Trending at AU $30.90
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $79.02
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.42
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $22.22
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.31
- AU $30.95Trending at AU $33.19
About this product
- DescriptionIn this book, Marta T. Topel utilizes anthropological research to analyze both macro and micro social processes among secular and Orthodox Jews in Israel. She covers such complex issues as the tensions between the two groups and the radicalization of Israeli Jewish Orthodoxy in the last thirty years. The book also delves into micro social processes such as the long and tortured journey of Israeli religious dissidents and the role of n-governmental organizations in helping these dissidents adapt to secular society. In addition, she discusses the symbolic and ritual paraphernalia that dissidents must become familiar with in order to be successful in their new lives as secular Jews. Jewish Orthodoxy and Its Discontents approaches the phemen of religious dissidence within the Jewish Israeli Orthodoxy through the lens of the inverse phemen: religious conversion to Jewish Orthodoxy. This outlook is based on theoretical ground as both events constitute a radical change of the ideology of both the social actors and the social structures they have abandoned.
- Author BiographyMarta F. Topel is an anthropologist, researcher, and lecturer in the Program for Jewish Studies at the University of Sao Paulo. She is the author of Jerusalem and Sao Paulo: the New Jewish Orthodox in Focus and has written several articles on Jewish orthodoxy, modern Judaism, and religious fundamentalism in Brazil.
- Author(s)Marta F. Topel
- PublisherUniversity Press of America
- Date of Publication06/07/2012
- SubjectNon-Christian Religions
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity Press of America
- Weight272 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine12 mm
Most relevant reviews
- jacqu_gorma23 Mar, 2017by
I put watches and bracelets in as gifts
Verified purchase: Yes | Condition: New
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.