All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $46.25Trending at AU $49.52
- AU $3.75Trending at AU $7.39
- AU $27.04Trending at AU $31.08
- AU $70.90Trending at AU $79.81
- AU $20.50Trending at AU $24.14
- AU $22.60Trending at AU $23.09
- AU $17.07Trending at AU $23.44
About this product
- DescriptionJewish traditional foods often have symbolic meanings that few Jews are aware of. A Passover matzo is a taste of Egyptian slavery. The Hanukah latke reminds us of the little jug of oil that burned, miraculously, for eight nights. Noshing hamantashen at Purim, we remember the villain Haman, and his thwarted plan to destroy the Jews. Even more than in the synagogue, Jewish life takes place around the dining table. Jewish sages compare the dining table to an altar, and that isn't an exaggeration. Jewish meals - t only on the Shabbat and holidays, but even weekday suppers - are ceremonies and celebrations that forge a pathway between body and soul. In this unique cookbook, Carol Ungar links the cultural and religious symbolism of Jewish foods to more than one hundred recipes drawn from Jewish cultures and traditions around the world. She offers easy-to-follow recipes for Shabbat meals and all the Jewish holidays, from Rosh Hashanah to the Nine Days and Tisha B'Av, along with fascinating briefs on how many Jewish foods - challah, kreplach, farfel, lentil soup, and more - express core Jewish beliefs. With ingredients that can be found in any supermarket, and recipes adapted for the time- and health-conscious cook, this volume is for anyone who wishes to flavor Shabbat and holiday meals with Jewish soul.
- Author BiographyCAROL UNGAR, a freelance writer who lives in Israel, has written for Tablet, the Jerusalem Post, and other publications. Her website is kosherhomecooking.com.
- Author(s)Carol Ungar
- PublisherUniversity Press of New England
- Date of Publication05/05/2015
- SubjectFood & Drink: General
- Place of PublicationHanover
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBrandeis University Press
- Content Note73 illus.
- Weight272 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine15 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.