Brand newLOWEST PRICE
All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.86
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.84
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.02
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $37.03
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $47.20
- AU $24.91Trending at AU $28.29
- AU $9.81Trending at AU $13.34
About this product
- DescriptionShoes are an integral part of Jewish material culture. Although they appear in some of the most foundational biblical stories, they are generally regarded as more than lowly, albeit essential, accessories. Jews and Shoes takes a fresh look at the makings and meanings of shoes, cobblers, and barefootedness in Jewish experience. The book shows how shoes convey theological, social, and ecomic concepts, and as such are intriguing subjects for inquiry within a wide range of cultural, artistic, and historic contexts. The book's multidisciplinary approach encompasses a wide range of contributions from disciplines as diverse as fashion, visual culture, history, anthropology, Bible and Talmud, and performance studies. Jews and Shoes will appeal to students, scholars and general readers alike who are interested to find out more about the practical and symbolic significance of shoes in Jewish culture since antiquity.
- Author BiographyEdna Nahshon is Associate Professor of Hebrew at the Jewish Theological Seminary and Senior Associate, Centre of Hebrew and Jewish Studies, Oxford University.
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication01/08/2008
- SubjectCultural Studies
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBerg Publishers
- Content Note50 b&w illustrations, bibliography, index
- Weight474 g
- Width172 mm
- Height244 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Edited byEdna Nahshon
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.