All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAs a writer and political activist in early-twentieth-century America, Michael Gold was an important presence on the American cultural scene for more than three decades. Beginning in the 1920s his was a powerful journalistic voice for social change and human rights, and Jews Without Money--the author's only vel--is a passionate record of the times. First published in 1930, this fictionalized autobiography offered an unusually candid look at the thieves, gangsters, and ordinary citizens who struggled against brutal odds in lower East Side Manhattan. Like Henry Roth's Call It Sleep and Abraham Cahan's The Rise and Fall of David Levinsky, Jews Without Money is a literary landmark of the Jewish experience. Michael Gold (1893--1967) was born in New York City, where later he wrote for radical journals and newspapers such as New Masses and The Liberator. Jews Without Money has been translated in more than fourteen countries, including Germany, where the vel was employed against Nazi propaganda.
- Author BiographyMichael Gold (1893--1967) was born in New York City, where later he wrote for radical journals and newspapers such as New Masses and The Liberator. Jews Without Money has been translated in more than fourteen countries, including Germany, where the novel was employed against Nazi propaganda.
- Author(s)Alfred Kazin,Michael Gold
- PublisherCarroll & Graf Publishers Inc
- Date of Publication13/02/2004
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCarroll & Graf Publishers Inc
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight386 g
- Width140 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine25 mm
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $20.41Trending at AU $30.97
- AU $7.43Trending at AU $12.05
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.11
- AU $56.56Trending at AU $60.86
- AU $11.92Trending at AU $16.07
- AU $19.77Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $19.94Trending at AU $23.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.