All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionJim Crow's Legacy shows the lasting impact of segregation on the lives of African Americans who lived through it, as well as its impact on future generations. The book draws on interviews with elderly African American southerners whose stories poignantly show the devastation of racism t only in the past, but also in the present. The book introduces readers to the realities of the Jim Crow era for African Americans-from life at home to work opportunities to the broader social context in America. However, the book moves beyond merely setting the scene into the powerful memories of elderly African Americans who lived through Jim Crow. Their voices tell the complex stories of their everyday lives-from caring for white children to the racially-motivated murder of a loved one. Their stories show the pernicious impact of racism on both the past and the present. The authors use the phrase segregation stress syndrome to describe the long-term impact on physical, mental, and emotional health, as well as the unshakable influence of racism across years and generations. Jim Crow's Legacy takes readers on an unparalleled journey into the bitter realities of America's racial past and shows racism's unmistakable influence today.
- Author BiographyRuth Thompson-Miller is assistant professor of sociology at the University of Dayton. Joe R. Feagin is Ella C. McFadden Professor of Sociology at Texas A&M University. A former president of the American Sociological Association, he is author, co-author, or editor of numerous books and articles, including The First R and The Many Costs of Racism. Leslie H. Picca is associate professor and chair of the Department of Sociology, Anthropology, and Social Work at the University of Dayton. She is the co-author of Two-Faced Racism.
- Author(s)Joe R. Feagin,Leslie H. Picca,Ruth Thompson-Miller
- PublisherRowman & Littlefield
- Date of Publication20/11/2014
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Series TitlePerspectives on a Multiracial America
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRowman & Littlefield Publishers
- Weight376 g
- Width155 mm
- Height225 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $12.99Trending at AU $19.18
- AU $61.42Trending at AU $72.99
- AU $20.46Trending at AU $22.94
- AU $26.44Trending at AU $33.42
- AU $36.83Trending at AU $37.88
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.28
- AU $14.43Trending at AU $22.77
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.