All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionJim Jarmusch: Music, Words and Noise is the first book to examine the films of Jim Jarmusch from a sound-oriented perspective. The three essential acoustic elements that structure a film - music, words and ise - propel this book's fascinating journey through his work. Exploring the director's extensive back catalogue, including Stranger Than Paradise (1984), Down By Law (1986), Dead Man (1995), and Only Lovers Left Alive (2013) Sara Piazza's unique reading reveals how Jarmusch created a form of sound democracy in film, in which all acoustic layers are capable of infiltrating each other and in which sound is t subordinate to the visual. In his cultural melting pot, hierarchies are irrelevant: Schubert and Japanese ise-bands, Marlowe and Betty Boop can co-exist easily side-by-side. Developing the invative idea of a Silent-Sound Film, Piazza identifies prefiguring elements from pre-sound-era film in Jarmusch's work. Highlighting the importance of Jarmusch's treatment of sound, Piazza investigates how the director's distinctive reputation consolidated itself over the course of a thirty-year career.Based in New York, Jarmusch was able to develop a fiercely personal vision far from the commercial pressures of Hollywood. The book uses wide-ranging examples from music, film, literature and visual art, and features interviews with many prominent figures including Ennio Morricone, Luc Sante, Roberto Benigni, John Lurie, and Jarmusch himself.An invative account of a much-admired body of work, Jim Jarmusch will appeal t only to the many fans of the director, but also all those interested in the connections between sound and film.
- Author BiographySara Piazza is an independent writer, radio journalist, film-documentary producer and interpreter based in Berlin. She is a contributor to many publications including the Berlin newspaper Die Tageszeitung.
- Author(s)Sara Piazza
- PublisherReaktion Books
- Date of Publication15/04/2015
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintReaktion Books
- Content Note150
- Weight835 g
- Width150 mm
- Height200 mm
- Spine21 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $97.85
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $69.55Trending at AU $86.07
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.