All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionTaking cues from a pulp vel, Dortmunder arranges a kidnapping Kelp has a plan, and John Dortmunder kws that means trouble. His friend Kelp is a jinx, and his schemes, matter how well intentioned, tend to spiral quickly out of control. But this one, Kelp swears, is airtight. He read it in a book.In county lock-up for a traffic charge, Kelp came across a library of trashy vels by an author named Richard Stark. The hero is a thief named Parker whose plans, unlike Kelp and Dortmunder s, always work out. In one, Parker orchestrates a kidnapping so brilliant that, Kelp thinks, it would have to work in real life. Though offended that his usual role as planner has been usurped, Dortmunder agrees to try using the vel as a blueprint. Unfortunately, what s simple on the page turns complex in real life, and there is book to guide him through the madness he s signed on for.
- Author BiographyDonald E. Westlake (1933 2008) was one of the most prolific and talented authors of American crime fiction. He began his career in the late 1950s, churning out novels for pulp houses often writing as many as four novels a year under various pseudonyms but soon began publishing under his own name. His most well-known characters were John Dortmunder, an unlucky thief, and a ruthless criminal named Parker. His writing earned him three Edgars and a Grand Master Award from the Mystery Writers of America.Westlake s cinematic prose and brisk dialogue made his novels attractive to Hollywood, and several motion pictures were made from his books, with stars such as Lee Marvin and Mel Gibson. Westlake wrote several screenplays himself, receiving an Academy Award nomination for his adaptation of The Grifters, Jim Thompson s noir classic.
- Author(s)Donald E Westlake
- PublisherMysteriouspress.Com/Open Road
- Date of Publication06/11/2012
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectCrime, Thriller & Adventure
- Series TitleDortmunder Novel
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMysteriouspress.Com/Open Road
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight254 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $68.55Trending at AU $73.88
- AU $7.43Trending at AU $12.05
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.11
- AU $11.92Trending at AU $16.07
- AU $19.18Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $20.36Trending at AU $30.97
- AU $19.94Trending at AU $23.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.