All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.09
- AU $166.95Trending at AU $170.17
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.55
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.59
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $49.77Trending at AU $52.38
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.54
About this product
- DescriptionThis is the first scholarly edition of Aubrey's Brief Lives since 1898, the first to include the complete text of the three Brief Lives manuscripts (including censored and deleted material, title-pages, antiquarian tes, and the indices), and the first to provide a full general and critical introduction and comprehensive commentary. This edition is the first to respect the original arrangement of the Lives in Aubrey's manuscripts. Brief Lives is presented as an antiquarian and collaborative text, containing the autograph papers of biographical subjects, the antations of those among whom the manuscripts circulated, and wax seals. As well as 25 facsimile pages, there are over 160 images, reproducing for the first time all Aubrey's horoscopes, pedigrees, coats of arms, and topographical sketches as they are found in the manuscripts. The text respects the mise-en-page of the manuscript and its status as an incomplete and heavily revised work-in-progress while presenting an edited, rather than a diplomatic, text. The commentary presents extensive new research on manuscript sources including much material t previously kwn to be Aubrey's or associated with him. It also reflects the state of current scholarship. Each life is introduced by a headte placing the life in context. This gives the dates and sequence of composition and an account of Aubrey's relationship with the biographical subject, the circulation of kwledge of that subject in Aubrey's circle, and a full account of Aubrey's tes on the subject of the life in other manuscripts and correspondence. Aubrey's biographical informants also have a long te, as do uncompleted or missing Lives.
- Author BiographyKate Bennett had a Junior Research Fellowship at Christ Church, Oxford, and a British Academy Postdoctoral Fellowship; she was then Fellow in English at Pembroke College, Cambridge. She was a research fellow at New College, Oxford, and is now a Lecturer at Magdalen College, Oxford.
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication26/03/2015
- FormatMultiple copy pack
- SubjectBiography: Literary
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Content NoteNumerous illustrations
- Weight3215 g
- Width162 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine117 mm
- Edited byKate Bennett
- Contained items statement2 Multiple copy packs
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.