All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe incredible debut vel from 2015 Man Booker Prize winner Marlon James A powerful first vel . . . Writing with assurance and control, James uses his small-town drama to suggest the larger anguish of a postcolonial society struggling for its own identity. -- New York Times Book Review (Editors' Choice) Elements coalesce in a Jamaican stew spicier than jerk chicken. First velist James moves effortlessly between lyrical patois and trenchant observations . . . It's 150-proof literary rum guaranteed to intoxicate and enchant. Highly recommended. -- Library Journal (*starred* review) This stunning debut vel tells the story of a biblical struggle in a remote Jamaican village in 1957 with language as taut as classic works by Cormac McCarthy and a richness reminiscent of early Toni Morrison. Marlon James was born in Kingston, Jamaica, in 1970. His second vel, The Book of Night Women, a New York Times Editors Choice, was released in 2009 to widespread critical acclaim. Currently a professor of literature and creative writing at Macalester College in St. Paul, Minnesota, he divides his time between Jamaica, New York City, and the Twin Cities.
- Author BiographyMarlon James was born in Kingston, Jamaica, in 1970. His first novel, John Crow's Devil was a finalist for the Los Angeles Times Book Prize and the Commonwealth Prize. His second novel, The Book Of Night Women, a New York Times Editor's Choice, has been released to widespread critical acclaim. His short fiction has appeared in the anthologies Iron Balloons, Bronx Noir, and Silent Voices, and his nonfiction in the Caribbean Review of Books. Currently a professor of literature and creative writing at Macalester College in St. Paul, Minnesota, he divides his time between Jamaica, New York City, and the Twin Cities.
- Author(s)Marlon James
- PublisherAkashic Books,U.S.
- Date of Publication01/08/2010
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAkashic Books,U.S.
- Out-of-print date27/02/2016
- Weight295 g
- Width150 mm
- Height226 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $34.26Trending at AU $43.95
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $113.70
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $83.88
- AU $12.60Trending at AU $17.01
- AU $17.72Trending at AU $19.73
- AU $16.67Trending at AU $22.38
- AU $16.95Trending at AU $23.37
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.