All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $56.35Trending at AU $60.64
- AU $19.08Trending at AU $26.10
- AU $74.23Trending at AU $76.09
- AU $35.55Trending at AU $38.80
- AU $31.87Trending at AU $37.29
- AU $37.63Trending at AU $38.56
- AU $47.17Trending at AU $59.70
About this product
- DescriptionHe was the first astronaut to orbit the Earth. Nearly four decades later, as the world's oldest astronaut, his courage reveted a nation. But these two historical events only bracketed a life that covers the sweep of an extraordinary century. John Glenn's autobiography spans the seminal events of the twentieth century. It is a story that begins with his childhood in Ohio where he learned the importance of family, community, and patriotism. He took these values with him as a marine fighter pilot during World War II and into the skies over Korea, for which he would be decorated. Always a gifted flier, it was during the war that he contemplated the unlimited possibilities of aviation and its frontiers. We see the early days of NASA, where he first served as a backup pilot for astronauts Alan Shepard and Gus Grissom. In 1962 Glenn piloted the Mercury-Atlas 6 Friendship 7 spacecraft on the first manned orbital mission of the United States. Then came several years in international business, followed by a twenty-four year career as a U.S. Senator-and in 1998 a return to space for his remarkable Discover mission at the age of seventy-seven.
- Author Biography<b>John Glenn</b> spent most of his life in public service, as a distinguished U.S. senator and a veteran of twenty-three years in the Marine Corps, during which time he was awarded numerous medals for his achievements. He was as well awarded the NASA Distinguished Service Medal and the Congressional Space Medal of Honor. He died in 2016. <b>Nick Taylor</b> is the author of six nonfiction books, among them the highly praised <i>A Necessary End, </i> a memoir of his parents' final years, and most recently <i>Healing Lessons, </i> with Sidney Winawer, M.D. He lives in New York City.
- Author(s)John Glenn
- PublisherBantam Doubleday Dell Publishing Group Inc
- Date of Publication01/08/2001
- SubjectBiography: Science, Technology & Medical
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBantam USA
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight286 g
- Width106 mm
- Height175 mm
- Spine35 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.