All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionQuoting from John Muir's diaries, Kathryn Lasky tells the inspiring tale of one of America's most dedicated environmentalists, aided by Stan Fellows's evocative, dramatic acrylic paintings. From the meadows of Scotland to the farms of Wisconsin, from the swamps of Florida to the Alaskan tundra, John Muir loved the land. Born in 1838, he was a writer, a scholar, an inventor, a shepherd, a farmer, and an explorer, but above all, he was a naturalist. John Muir was particularly devoted to the high cliffs, waterfalls, and ancient giant sequoia trees that, through his careful influence, were set aside as one of the first national parks in America - Yosemite. Here is the life story of the man who, moved by a commitment to wilderness everywhere, founded the Sierra Club in 1892, a conservation group that carries on his crucial work to this day.
- Author BiographyKATHRYN LASKY is the acclaimed author of more than forty books for children, including VISION OF BEAUTY: THE STORY OF SARAH BREEDLOVE WALKER; A VOICE OF HER OWN: THE STORY OF PHILLIS WHEATLEY, SLAVE POET; INTERRUPTED JOURNEY: SAVING ENDANGERED SEA TURTLES; and SUGARING TIME, which was a Newbery Honor Book. Of JOHN MUIR: AMERICA'S FIRST ENVIRONMENTALIST, she says, This book is a celebration of one man's imagination and prescience, as well as his capacity to live creatively in great solitude. STAN FELLOWS studied at the Minnesota College of Art and Design and at the Art Center College of Design, in Pasadena, California. He has illustrated several books for children and has done editorial work for magazines. About JOHN MUIR, he says, This book was an absolute delight to work on. Going to my studio each day to paint these pieces was like taking the day off to wander fields and mountains.
- Author(s)Kathryn Lasky
- PublisherCandlewick Press (MA)
- Date of Publication25/03/2014
- SubjectChildren's General Non-Fiction
- Series TitleCandlewick Biographies
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCandlewick Press (MA)
- Content Notecolour illustrations
- Weight295 g
- Width157 mm
- Height231 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Illustrator(s)Stan Fellows
- Format DetailsSewn,Paper over boards,With dust jacket
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $89.29Trending at AU $102.14
- AU $13.45Trending at AU $15.72
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $18.80
- AU $10.00Trending at AU $11.89
- AU $7.38Trending at AU $10.64
- AU $8.88Trending at AU $12.36
- AU $12.80Trending at AU $17.42
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.