All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis, the newest title in the highly acclaimed 'Design Series' focuses on the work of John Piper (1903 - 1992). Piper remains something of an enigma: an antiquarian who was among the pioneers of n-representational art in Britain; an abstract painter who drew his inspiration from the paintings of Turner and mediaeval stained glass; and a romantic with a penchant for geometric design. Despite, in formal terms, coming to art late, Piper became one of the most diverse designers of his generation. Up until the 1951 Festival of Britain, his work had been almost entirely graphic. Indeed much of his design - particularly for the theatre, murals, mosaics, textiles and tapestries - was to remain graphics based. However, Piper was also to enter into rewarding partnerships with Patrick Reyntiens, David Wasley and Joseph Nuttgens designing stained glass; with Geoffrey Eastop in ceramics; and, most explosively of all, with Ron Lancaster and John Deeker, for some of the greatest pyrotechnic displays that Britain has witnessed since the 18th century. Commissioned by the War Artists Advisory Committee in 1940, Piper's two paintings of the ruins of Coventry's St Michael's Cathedral, along with his St Mary-le-Port, Bristol are among the most iconic images of World War II. However, mediaeval stained glass was perhaps Piper's most enduring passion; the slabs of glass, the leading and the richness of colour of these windows, were to provide a fundamental source of inspiration t only for his paintings and designs for stained glass, both figurative and abstract, but also for work in other media.
- Author BiographyBrian Webb is a designer and visiting Professor at the University of the Arts London. Peyton Skipwith is an independent art consultant.
- Author(s)Brian Webb,Peyton Skipwith
- PublisherACC Art Books
- Date of Publication26/06/2013
- SubjectDesign & Commercial Art
- Series TitleDesign
- Place of PublicationWoodbridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintACC Art Books
- Content Note100 Colour, 20 B&W
- Weight372 g
- Width148 mm
- Height223 mm
- Spine14 mm
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.88Trending at AU $23.55
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $73.13
- AU $32.88Trending at AU $36.70
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.07
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.48
- AU $20.38Trending at AU $26.52
- AU $29.12Trending at AU $29.58
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.