All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.93
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $73.27
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.59
- AU $41.64Trending at AU $45.10
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $91.47
- AU $46.38Trending at AU $48.34
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.40
About this product
- DescriptionThis pioneering commentary embraces the full scope and themes raised in John's Gospel, offering an engaging and perceptive reading. Mark Edwards explores a diverse range of excerpts and creative responses, with particular emphasis on the treatment of the Gospel in English poetry. This title explores the diverse themes and issues raised in John's Gospel, and considers its influence on figures from Saint Augustine, to Dorothy Sayers and Bob Dylan. It treats well-kwn interpreters such as Thomas Aquinas along with lesser-kwn figures such as the Gstic Heracleon, and the sixth-century hymn-writer, Romas. It brings ancient and modern commentators into dialogue with each other, and takes a critical stance towards some parallels drawn by modern scholars between the Gospel and the surrounding pagan culture.It features excerpts from a wide variety of poets who give a creative interpretation of John's Gospel, and considers many artistic representations. It suggests that imaginative response can illuminate a reading of the Bible where purely critical and historical analysis has proved unsatisfactory. There are an accessible introduction and extensive section tes that address interpretations of the Gospel from antiquity to the present. This work is published as part of the ground-breaking Blackwell Bible Commentaries series. More information about this series is available from the Blackwell Bible Commentaries website.
- Author BiographyMark Edwards is Tutor in Theology and Lecturer in Patristics at Christ Church College, University of Oxford. He is the author or translator of numerous volumes, including Origen against Plato (2002).
- Author(s)Mark Edwards
- PublisherJohn Wiley and Sons Ltd
- Date of Publication19/11/2003
- SubjectChristianity: Bibles & Liturgy
- Series TitleBlackwell Bible Commentaries
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBlackwell Publishing Ltd
- Content Note0
- Weight502 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine23 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.