Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.84
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.82
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.31
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.95
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $37.00
- AU $44.73Trending at AU $47.15
- AU $25.61Trending at AU $28.26
About this product
- DescriptionPolitical organizations and clubs structure contemporary politics. From political parties to environmental organizations, citizens join a host of associations to influence policymaking and the political agenda. Yet why do citizens in some western democracies join political organizations much more than in others? Laura Morales explains that there are three types of participatory patterns: a North American model, with extensive membership levels and a reasonably high level of activism within organizations; a rthern, or Protestant, European pattern, that combines extensive membership levels and fundamentally passive involvement; and a south European model, where low levels of membership are compensated by intense activism. Drawing on a large number of crossnational surveys and datasets, Morales shows that huge crossnational variations in political membership are t so much related to social or attitudinal differences between these countries' citizens but are explained to a great extent by the structure of the political system of each nation.
- Author BiographyLaura Morales is a research fellow at the Institute for Social Change of the University of Manchester. She has previously taught political science and research methods at Universidad Autonoma de Madrid (2001-2003), Universidad Complutense de Madrid (2003), and the Universidad de Murcia (2003-2007). ECPR and the Spanish Political Science Association awarded her with prizes for the best Ph.D. thesis in 2004. Her interests lie especially in the areas of electoral behaviour, political participation, and comparative politics. She has published extensively on associational involvement, political participation, and political parties.
- Author(s)Professor Laura Morales
- PublisherECPR Press
- Date of Publication01/04/2005
- SubjectPolitics: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationColchester
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintECPR Press
- Content Note1, black & white illustrations
- Weight372 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.