All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAl Jolson, celebrated star of the world's first 'talking picture' and self-proclaimed World's Greatest Entertainer, blazed many trails through show business - and today his name still conjures up the glamour of Broadway and the silver screen. This is the definitive biography of a man who became a household name in his own lifetime. The first to speak in the movies; the first to appear on American television; the first to release a long-playing record in Britain: this great performer's achievements were unique. Jolson's lifelong love affair with his audience, his four marriages, his amazing ego and his traumatic personal life - all are described in detail, along with many anecdotes and reminiscences from those who knew, loved, and worked with him. This is the eighth edition of this biography - published as a result of a clamour from Jolson fans to still be able to read about this remarkable performer. He personified show business in an age when people waited in line to be able to see their favourite entertainer live on stage.
- Author BiographyMichael Freedland is a journalist, broadcaster and biographer, and former presenter of the long-running radio programme You Don't Have To Be Jewish. Michael Freedland's autobiography Confessions of a Serial Biographer is also available from Vallentine Mitchell.
- Author(s)Michael Freedland
- PublisherVallentine Mitchell & Co Ltd
- Date of Publication13/02/2007
- SubjectBiography: The Arts
- Place of PublicationIlford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintVallentine Mitchell & Co Ltd
- Content Noteand 16pp plate section
- Weight590 g
- Width147 mm
- Height224 mm
- Spine30 mm
Save on Textbooks
- AU $65.50Trending at AU $74.95
- AU $143.50Trending at AU $152.13
- AU $44.92Trending at AU $55.99
- AU $28.56Trending at AU $29.47
- AU $20.94Trending at AU $25.71
- AU $20.25Trending at AU $21.96
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.