All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.34Trending at AU $49.62
- AU $77.99Trending at AU $116.74
- AU $28.60Trending at AU $31.14
- AU $70.25Trending at AU $77.45
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $76.83
- AU $35.46Trending at AU $39.18
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.70
About this product
- DescriptionThe prophetic books Jonah, Nahum, Habakkuk, and Zephaniah are brief but powerful. They comfort us with the assurance that, when thing in this life makes sense, God is still in control. They toughen our faith in the face of the world's ugly realities. And they reveal the complexities of humans in relation to God. Jonah ran from his divine commission. Habakkuk questioned God concerning his ways. Repenting under Jonah's message, the city of Ninevah ultimately backslid and reaped the doom prophesied by Nahum. And Zephaniah's remnant depicts a faith that remains faithful. We needn't look too hard to find our own world and concerns mirrored in these books. Exploring the links between the Bible and our own times, James Bruckner shares perspectives on four of the Mir Prophets that reveal their enduring relevance for our twenty-first-century lives. Most Bible commentaries take us on a one-way trip from our world to the world of the Bible. But they leave us there, assuming that we can somehow make the return journey on our own. They focus on the original meaning of the passage but don't discuss its contemporary application. The information they offer is valuable-but the job is only half done! The NIV Application Commentary Series helps bring both halves of the interpretive task together. This unique, award-winning series shows readers how to bring an ancient message into our present-day context. It explains t only what the Bibles meant but also how it speaks powerfully today.
- Author BiographyJames Bruckner (PhD, Luther Seminary) is professor of Old Testament at North Park Theological Seminary and the author of several books including a commentary on Exodus (2008) and Healthy Human Life: a biblical witness (2012).
- Author(s)James K. Bruckner
- Date of Publication06/01/2004
- SubjectChristianity: Bibles & Liturgy
- Series TitleNIV Application Commentary
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 12
- Place of PublicationGrand Rapids
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Weight634 g
- Width162 mm
- Height241 mm
- Spine31 mm
- Interest AgeFrom 18 To 99
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.