All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $31.45Trending at AU $32.35
- AU $56.25Trending at AU $57.83
- AU $161.21Trending at AU $168.83
- AU $70.99Trending at AU $74.31
- AU $68.01Trending at AU $77.08
- AU $65.85Trending at AU $79.00
- AU $12.86Trending at AU $16.85
About this product
- DescriptionJonah's Gourd Vine, Zora Neale Hurston's first vel, originally published in 1934, tells the story of John Buddy Pearson, -a living exultation- of a young man who loves too many women for his own good. Lucy, his long-suffering wife, is his true love, but there's also Mehaley and Big 'Oman, as well as the scheming Hattie, who conjures hoodoo spells to ensure his attentions. Even after becoming the popular pastor of Zion Hope, where his sermons and prayers for cleansing rouse the congregation's fervor, John has to confess that though he is a preacher on Sundays, he is a -natchel man- the rest of the week. And so in this sympathetic portrait of a man and his community, Zora Neale Hurston shows that faith, tolerance, and good intentions cant resolve the tension between the spiritual and the physical. That she makes this age-old dilemma come so alive is a tribute to her understanding of the vagaries of human nature.
- Author(s)Zora Neale Hurston
- PublisherHarper Perennial
- Date of Publication08/01/2008
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Series TitleP.S.
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHarper Perennial
- Weight222 g
- Width136 mm
- Height204 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.