All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $12.99Trending at AU $19.18
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $72.99
- AU $20.46Trending at AU $22.94
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $33.42
- AU $36.83Trending at AU $37.88
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.28
- AU $14.43Trending at AU $22.77
About this product
- DescriptionJosephine Lang (1815-80) was one of the most gifted, respected, prolific, and widely published song composers of the nineteenth century, yet her life and works have remained virtually unkwn. Now, this carefully researched, compelling, and poignant study recognizes the composer for her remarkable accomplishments. Based on years of study of unpublished letters, musical autographs, reviews, and the autobiographical poetry of Lang's husband, Reinhold Kostlin, the biographical portions of the book offer a stunning portrait of the composer as a woman and an artist. In-depth musical analyses interwoven with the biography will be illuminating to scholars and to musicians of all skill levels. The analyses reveal Lang's sensitivity to her chosen poetic texts, as well as the validity of her claim that her songs were her diary; the authors demonstrate that many of the songs are directly connected to the events of Lang's life. The analyses are illustrated by an abundance of musical examples, including a number of complete songs. A companion CD, on which the authors have recorded 30 songs by Lang, complements the text.
- Author BiographyHarald Krebs is Professor of Music at the University of Victoria. His book, Fantasy Pieces: Metrical Dissonance in the Music of Robert Schumann (Oxford 1999), was awarded the Society for Music Theory's Wallace Berry Award in 2002. He has published widely on 19th- and early 20th-century music, and has lectured and performed as a pianist throughout North America and Europe. Sharon Krebs holds degrees in human physiology and Germanic Studies. She is active as a singer and performs frequently in Canada, the United States, and Europe. She is the author of several articles on Josephine Lang and Reinhold Kostlin.
- Author(s)Harald Krebs,Sharon Krebs
- PublisherOxford University Press Inc
- Date of Publication18/01/2007
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOxford University Press Inc
- Content Note6 halftones, 2 line drawings, numerous musical examples
- Weight602 g
- Width164 mm
- Height243 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Contained items statementContains Hardback and CD-Audio (Performance - spoken word)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.