All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.34Trending at AU $49.62
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $76.83
- AU $22.11Trending at AU $23.10
- AU $35.46Trending at AU $39.18
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.70
- AU $17.66Trending at AU $21.74
- AU $37.61Trending at AU $38.98
About this product
- DescriptionJOSSER is the powerful and moving account of Oxford-educated Nell Stroud's life in the circus. It is also the story of the people of the circus: the trapeze artists, the clowns, the high-wire acts, the grooms, the llamas, the elephants - their commitment and expertise, their hard, marginalised, miraculous lives. Following a terrible riding accident which left her mother permanently brain-damaged, Nell ran away to the circus. What she found there was a life which became more real to her than the one she left behind. She found people who had sacrificed their lives for their art, who worked in all weathers, perfecting some of the most dramatic and beautiful acts ever seen. She found third-generation show-people who travelled around forgotten parts of Britain to bring their abstract, polished, multi-layered show to ever dwindling audiences. She found herself in an art form that soon, if we are t careful, we will lose. Whilst she has lived and worked among the circus people for several years, she is t one of them: she was t born in the circus. In their words she is a 'josser' a person in the circus from the outside world. This is her story. 'The circus does cast a spell over some people. I felt overwhelmed by it. The circus filled up existence and left room for thing else. What was there to do?
- Author BiographyNell Stroud was born in Oxford in 1973. She studied English Literature at the university before leaving to join the circus. This is her first book.
- Author(s)Nell Stroud
- PublisherLittle, Brown Book Group
- Date of Publication06/04/2000
- SubjectAutobiography: The Arts
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintVirago Press Ltd
- Weight212 g
- Width130 mm
- Height197 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.