All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe constraints of news production and the consequent limitations of news result directly in dissatisfaction throughout news audiences. News stories are frequently found to be inadequately informative to the extent that journalism is more inclined to generate political disenchantment, rather than prompt its audiences to pursue a fully engaged level of political participation in their societies. Journalism and Political Exclusion provides a multi-method, integrated analysis of news production and news audiences, including a long-term study of community activists in a central Canadian city. During the seven-year fieldwork period, different groups of research participants completed questionnaires, wrote news diaries, and were interviewed in their homes while viewing network television newscasts. Clarke shows that frustrations with the informational limitations of television and other news media are accelerated among women and the working-class often lack opportunities to access alternative information sources. The critical contribution of journalism to the production and reproduction of ideas about social reality is frequently ackwledged and assumed yet rarely investigated and demonstrated. Through an examination of the everyday realities of both news production and news reception, Journalism and Political Exclusion also shows how the current crises of professional journalism heighten the level of political exclusion experienced by various social groups.
- Author BiographyDebra M. Clarke is associate professor of sociology at Trent University.
- Author(s)Debra M. Clarke
- PublisherMcGill-Queen's University Press
- Date of Publication15/10/2014
- SubjectCommunication & Media
- Place of PublicationMontreal
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintMcGill-Queen's University Press
- Content Note7 tables
- Weight558 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine661 mm
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $72.93
- AU $23.60Trending at AU $29.65
- AU $32.93Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $47.93
- AU $30.86Trending at AU $32.07
- AU $23.80Trending at AU $32.73
- AU $16.92Trending at AU $22.07
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.