All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.61Trending at AU $33.14
- AU $17.87Trending at AU $22.29
- AU $43.47Trending at AU $44.45
- AU $25.92Trending at AU $34.12
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.33
- AU $36.24Trending at AU $40.06
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $76.61
About this product
- DescriptionJulian Steward and the Great Basin is a critical assessment of Steward s work, the factors that influenced him, and his deep effect on American anthropology. Steward (1902 1972) was one of the foremost American exponents of cultural ecology, the idea that societies evolve in adaptation to their human and natural environments. He was also central in shaping basic anthropological constructs such as hunter-gatherer and adaptation. But his fieldwork took place almost entirely in the Great Basin.In one sense, the phases of Steward s career epitomize the successive schools of anthropological theory and practice. Each chapter explores a different aspect of his work ranging from early efforts at documenting trait distributions to his later role in the development of social transformation theory, area studies, and applied anthropology. Julian Steward and the Great Basin also corrects long-standing misperceptions that originated with Steward about lifeways of the Indians living between the Great Plains and California. It charts new directions for research, demanding a more exacting study of environmental conditions, material adaptations, and organizational responses, as well as an appreciation of the ideological and humanistic dimensions of Basin Life.
- Author BiographyRichard Clemmer is associate professor of anthropology at the University of Denver. He is the author of Roads in the Sky: The Hopi Indians in a Century of Change. L. Daniel Myers is a consulting anthropologist with Epochs Past in Dunkirk, Maryland.Mary Elizabeth Rudden is a free-lance data analyst and documentary researcher.
- PublisherUniversity of Utah Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication15/07/1999
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectBiography: General
- Place of PublicationSalt Lake City
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Utah Press,U.S.
- Content Noteblack & white tables, figures
- Weight431 g
- Width150 mm
- Height226 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited byL Daniel Myers,Mary Elizabeth Rudden,Richard O Clemmer
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.