Kanye West Owes Me $300: And Other True Stories from a White Rapper Who Almost Made it Big by Jensen Karp (Hardback, 2016)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $42.24Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by kamilc1
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $32.44+ AU $4.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- Description<b><b><i> Kanye West Owes Me $300 </i>might be the funniest rap memoir ever. <i> -LA Weekly</i></b> After Vanilla Ice, but before Eminem, there was Hot Karl, the Jewish kid from the L.A. suburbs who became a rap battling legend--and then almost became a star.</b> When 12-year old Jensen Karp got his first taste of rapping for crowds at his friend's bar mitzvah in 1991, little did he kw that he was taking his first step on a crazy journey--one that would end with a failed million-dollar recording and publishing deal with Interscope Records when he was only 19. Now, in <i>Kanye West Owes Me $300</i>, Karp finally tells the true story of his wild ride as Hot Karl, the most famous white rapper you've never heard of. On his way to (almost) celebrity, Jensen shares his childhood run-ins with rock-listening, southern California classmates, who tell him that rap is for black people, and then recounts his record-breaking rap battling streak on popular radio contest The Roll Call --a run that caught the eye of a music industry hungry for new rap voices in the early '00s. He also introduces his rap partner, Rickye, who constitutes the second half of their group XTra Large; his supportive mom, who performs with him onstage; and the soon-to-be-household-name artists he records with, including Kanye West, Redman, Fabolous, Mya, and will.i.am. Finally, he reveals why his album never saw the light of day (two words: Slim Shady), the downward spiral he suffered after, and what he found instead of rap glory. Full of rollicking stories from his close brush with fame, Karp's hilarious memoir is the ultimate fish-out-of-water story about a guy who follows an unlikely passion--trying to crack the rap game--despite what everyone else says. It's <i>30 Rock</i> for the rap set; <i>8 Mile</i> for the suburbs; and quite the journey for a white kid from the valley.
- Author Biography<b>Jensen Karp, </b>formerly known as Hot Karl, is a writer, comedian, and co-owner of Gallery 1988, the nation's leading destination for pop culture-themed artwork. He hosts the <i>Get Up On This </i>podcast on the Earwolf Network, co-owns Patti Lapel pins, and has written and produced for <i>The Late Late Show with James Corden</i>, the MTV VMAs & Movie Awards, <i>Rolling Stone</i>, <i>WWE Raw</i>, The Hundreds, and the ESPYs. As an actor, he's appeared on VH1's <i>Barely Famous, NFL on FOX, </i>Comedy Central's <i>@Midnight, </i>and <i>Candidly Nicole</i>. He is currently an Executive Producer, writer, and coach on <i>Drop the Mic </i>on TBS. He was influenced by early Tom Hanks comedies, Chino XL, and Dennis Miller (before Dennis became a real piece of shit). jensenkarp.com @Jensenclan88
- Author(s)Jensen Karp
- PublisherRandom House USA Inc
- Date of Publication15/06/2016
- SubjectBiography: The Arts
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2016
- ImprintCrown Publishing Group, Division of Random House Inc
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight408 g
- Width140 mm
- Height208 mm
- Spine30 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $30.87Trending at AU $31.45
- AU $74.23Trending at AU $76.09
- AU $35.53Trending at AU $38.80
- AU $31.84Trending at AU $37.29
- AU $10.39Trending at AU $15.38
- AU $37.61Trending at AU $38.56
- AU $26.33Trending at AU $51.27
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.