All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $75.20
- AU $65.90Trending at AU $72.08
- AU $64.90Trending at AU $71.02
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.83
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.26
- AU $57.95Trending at AU $58.87
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $112.98
About this product
- DescriptionEcomics and everyday life: the genesis of Karl Polanyi's thinking. Collected papers on The Great Transformation and a selection of tributes to Polanyi's wife, to whom he dedicated that work. Includes archival material on the Polanyi's life in Vienna. Karl Polanyi believed that the greatest threat to freedom was a poorly administered ecomy. His search for ecomic and political institutions which reconciled society's need for freedom to develop a moral sense with the requirements of our complex techlogical civilisation, led him to believe in the possibility and necessity of an ecomics that was more existential and human-centred. Part One of Karl Polanyi in Vienna contains a selection of papers on re-reading The Great Transformation as presented at the Fifth Karl Polanyi International Conference in Vienna. International scholars explore pressing modern themes in the light of Polanyi's thought, including globalisation, state privatisation, the crisis of democracy and the urgent need to relaunch development in the Third World. Part Two presents memories and tributes delivered to the Vienna conference on the life and work of Ilona Duczynska, Polanyi's beloved wife.
- Author BiographyKenneth McBride is a poet and historian who teaches cultural studies at the University of British Columbia. Kari Polanyi Levitt is a political economist specialising in development studies. She co-founded the Karl Polanyi Institute of Political Economy at Concordia University, Montreal. Karl Polanyi was a maverick economic historian whose thought greatly influenced contemporaries and continues to resonate. The Great Transformation was his magnum opus.
- PublisherBlack Rose Books
- Date of Publication08/09/2005
- SubjectPolitics: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationMontreal
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintBlack Rose Books
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight481 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Edited byKarl Polanyi Levitt,Kenneth McRobbie
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.