Keepers: The Greatest Films--And Personal Favorites--Of a Moviegoing Lifetime by Richard Schickel (Hardback, 2015)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $38.45+ AU $10.00 postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by roxy*books
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $24.23+ AU $4.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
Consider these sponsored items
About this product
- DescriptionFrom a legendary film critic and movie fan extraordinaire, the highlights reel of a life spent at the movies Richard Schickel has seen, by his own estimate, more than twenty thousand films. He has been a reviewer since 1965 (long for Time magazine), has written almost forty books on the subject, and has produced and directed thirty documentaries. He has counted as personal friends many of the leading filmmakers of the twentieth century. Call it obsession, lunacy, or a grand passion (Schickel grants all three), but there s simply one who kws film better. Now Schickel gives us the ultimate summing up: a history of film as he s seen and lived it, a tour of his favorites, a master class in what makes a film soar or flop. Schickel s -holds-barred, often raucously irreverent opinions can range from panning classics, to spotlighting forgotten treasures, to defending the art of popular genres such as horror, westerns, screwball comedy, and ir. Beyond his picks and pans, Schickel offers a wealth of behind-the-scenes anecdotes (a love te from Marlene Dietrich, Frank Capra s unlikely path to success, Annie Hall s original title), career studies of our greatest performers and auteurs, and candidly intimate glimpses of his own life in pictures (an evening with Greta Garbo, John Ford s advice on directing, a dust-up in defense of Monty Python). Above all, Schickel gives us a collection of the true gems, the immortal moments that have stuck with him over a lifetime of movie watching the transcendent scenes, characters, lines, shots, scores, even lighting cues that offer, each in their way, pure movie magic. Buster Keaton, His Girl Friday, Ingrid Bergman, Taxi Driver, Star Wars, Stanley Kubrick, Pulp Fiction Schickel reveals all the films and the forces behind them that have kept him coming back for more. An essential addition to any cinephile s library, Keepers is the curation of a brilliant conisseur and critic, but more than that, it s a love letter to film from one of its most dedicated devotees.
- Author BiographyRICHARD SCHICKEL is a film critic, documentary filmmaker, and movie historian. His books include Conversations with Scorsese; Clint Eastwood: A Biography; Intimate Strangers: The Culture of Celebrity in America; and D. W. Griffith: An American Life. His documentaries include Charlie: The Life and Art of Charles Chaplin; Woody Allen: A Life in Film; and Shooting War, about combat cameramen in World War II. He has held a Guggenheim Fellowship and was awarded the British Film Institute Book Prize, the Maurice Bessy Prize for film criticism, and the William K. Everson Award for his work in film history.
- Author(s)Richard Schickel
- PublisherKnopf Publishing Group
- Date of Publication23/06/2015
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintKnopf Publishing Group
- Weight544 g
- Width152 mm
- Height243 mm
- Spine29 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $74.58Trending at AU $76.09
- AU $35.53Trending at AU $38.80
- AU $31.31Trending at AU $37.29
- AU $17.55Trending at AU $22.92
- AU $10.39Trending at AU $15.38
- AU $37.61Trending at AU $38.56
- AU $26.33Trending at AU $51.27
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.