All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.61Trending at AU $33.14
- AU $17.87Trending at AU $22.29
- AU $43.44Trending at AU $44.45
- AU $34.88Trending at AU $37.10
- AU $25.92Trending at AU $34.12
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.33
- AU $36.24Trending at AU $40.06
About this product
- DescriptionIn this beautifully illustrated book, virtually every facet of the road building industry in Ontario is discussed from labour relations and bidding scandals to safety, politics, and financing. Follow the history of road-building techlogy from the first crude trails hacked through dense forests to the corduroy roads, planks roads, stone roads, macadam pavements, hot mix asphalt pavements, and concrete roads. See how the engineering and construction of bridges has progressed from the first jack pine logs placed across a stream to the complex structures that span international waters and thousands of rivers today. Follow the development of construction equipment from the first steam shovels and cable-operated machines of the late 1800s to diesel-powered machines in the 1940s and later hydraulics. Meet the companies that made the equipment and the people who sold and rented it. The early story of roads and road building is recorded from many reference materials, but from the 1930s forward it is told largely by the people who lived and made the history. Over 120 contractors, engineers, government officials, and others were interviewed and the last 80 years of the industry's history unfolds in the way they remember it. Share their memories and stories as they talk about their projects, their businesses, their successes, and their hardships.
- Author BiographyRobert Bradford is an award-winning business journalist and fiction writer who spent thirty-five years working with the Ontario construction and road building industries and retired as executive director of the Ontario Road Builders Association in 2012.
- Author(s)Robert Bradford
- PublisherDundurn Group Ltd
- Date of Publication26/07/2014
- SubjectCivil Engineering & Environmental Engineering
- Place of PublicationToronto
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintDundurn Group Ltd
- Content Note200
- Weight1 g
- Width247 mm
- Height304 mm
- Spine30 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.