Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $75.40
- AU $65.90Trending at AU $72.27
- AU $64.90Trending at AU $71.26
- AU $93.88Trending at AU $107.07
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $104.10
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.46
- AU $55.80Trending at AU $56.95
About this product
- DescriptionOrwell wrote to his anarchist friend, George Woodcock in December 1942 arguing that 'by working inside an institution like the BBC one can perhaps deodorise it to some extent'. and he concluded, 'I consider I have kept our little corner of it fairly clean'. In addition to the magazine programme, 'Voice', Orwell continued to develop what would w be called an 'open university': broadcasts by distinguished speakers on texts set for Bombay and Calcutta university degrees. He enlisted such speakers as E. M. Forster, T. S Eliot and Joseph Needham and the broadcasts were backed up by [publications printed in India for university students. Classical and Indian music programmes were broadcast; there was regular film critism and an invative practical theatre series, 'Let's Act it Ourselves'. Some of Orwell's scripts, such as that for his 'Imaginary Interview with Jonathan Swift', pose difficult textual problems and these are fully examined and antated. The script of Eileen Blair's broadcast for the series, 'In Your Kitchen' has been included. Orwell still found time to write a number of reviews, contribute to Partisan Review, and write essays on Hardy, Henry Miller, and Yeats.
- Author BiographyGeorge Orwell (1903-1950) served with the Imperial Police in Burma, fought with the Republicans during the Spanish Civil War, and was a member of the Home Guard and a writer for the BBC during World War II. He is the author of some of the most celebrated works of non-fiction and fiction in the English language.
- Author(s)George Orwell
- PublisherVintage Publishing
- Date of Publication15/07/1999
- Place of PublicationLodnon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintMartin Secker & Warburg Ltd
- Weight969 g
- Width167 mm
- Height244 mm
- Spine37 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.