All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.36Trending at AU $49.47
- AU $74.17Trending at AU $76.60
- AU $22.10Trending at AU $23.03
- AU $35.48Trending at AU $39.06
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.56
- AU $17.57Trending at AU $23.07
- AU $37.61Trending at AU $38.86
About this product
- DescriptionIn January 1921 DH Lawrence and his wife, Frieda, left their Taormina home in Sicily and set off on a nine-day excursion to and through Sardinia and back to Sicily via mainland Italy. At the end of the year 'Sea and Sardinia', Lawrence's fast-paced account of their journey, was published in New York by Thomas Seltzer. 'Keeping up with DH Lawrence' is Niall Allsop's contemporary account of making the same journey, as far as possible keeping to the same route, the same timescale, the same mode of transport and the same overnight stops as the Lawrences. Like 'Sea and Sardinia', 'Keeping up with DH Lawrence' is written in the present tense but there the comparisons end for, unlike Niall, Lawrence was t a tolerant traveller, was t the sort to initiate conversations, was t what Italians call 'simpatico'. Lawrence travelled at time of heightened tensions in Europe after the Great War and these are reflected in his outlook and the people he encountered, most of whom he gave nicknames such as Hamlet, the Bounder and the Sludge Queen. Niall traversed the same route in a different world, a brave new world of iPods and tele-communications masts, and here he met Julius Caesar and Cicero, Wonderwoman and Red ... and many more colorful and interesting characters, brought to life on the pages of this unique travelogue.
- Author BiographyNiall Allsop was born and educated in Belfast, Northern Ireland, but began his working life as a teacher and headteacher in England. He left teaching to pursue a career as a photo-journalist specializing in the UK's inland waterways (navigable canals and rivers) and wrote extensively in this field as a contributor to several national magazines and author of a number of related titles. Later he became a graphic designer and in the early 90s was the in-house designer for a publishing house specializing in photographic titles before becoming a freelance graphic designer. In 2008 he and his wife moved to Calabria, the toe of Italy where they enjoy a sort of retirement in a small hilltop town where we are the only English-speaking people. Apart from 'Keeping up with DH Lawrence' Niall Allsop is the author of a number of other books, most of which have Italian themes.
- Author(s)Niall Allsop
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication09/12/2010
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectTravel & Holiday Guides: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight304 g
- Width127 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Photographer(s)Graham Allsop
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.