All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWelcoming a new child into the home through adoption is a life-altering experience-for the child, the parents, and everyone else in the family. Expectations and realities often differ dramatically, and adjusting to the change can be difficult and emotionally painful. Since the majority of children available for adoption today are in the system as the result of abuse and neglect, parents must ackwledge the fact they these young incents will carry their trauma with them into their new homes. A willingness to address the t-so-easy, didn't-see-that-coming aspects of adoption is the first step toward building a strong family. A valuable resource for parents and professionals, this book provides useful strategies for facing the challenges posed by adopted children. The inclusion of real stories from real people adds heart and encouragement, offering hope for the future of the entire family.
- Author BiographyGregory C. Keck, PhD was the founder and director of the Attachment and Bonding Center of Ohio, which specializes in the treatment of children and adolescents who have experienced developmental interruptions due to their early traumatic history. He was certified as a Diplomate and Fellow by the American Board of Medical Psychotherapy and was a Diplomate in Professional Psychotherapy. In 2012, he was given the Lifetime Achievement Award by the National Association of Social Workers, Region 2, and was also honored with the Statewide Lifetime Achievement Award by the Ohio Chapter of the National Association of Social Workers. He is the co-author of Adopting the Hurt Child and Parenting the Hurt Child, and author of Parenting Adopted Adolescents. L. (Elle) Gianforte is an award-winning writer, collaborative author, ghostwriter, and developmental editor. She writes books in a diversity of arenas, including lifestyle, self-help, fashion, design, memoir, food, and adoption. Her extensive experience in the adoption arena includes serving on the board of directors of ATTACh, the Association for Treatment and Training in the Attachment of Children, for two years. She holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in English from Kean University in New Jersey and attended the School of Visual Arts in New York. She is the adoptive mother of two sons.
- Author(s)Gregory C. Keck,L. Gianforte
- PublisherJessica Kingsley Publishers
- Date of Publication21/05/2015
- SubjectMarriage, Family & Other Relationships
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintJessica Kingsley Publishers
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight272 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Foreword byRita L. Soronen
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.83
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.29
- AU $67.69Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $31.51Trending at AU $36.97
- AU $44.28Trending at AU $47.12
- AU $25.61Trending at AU $28.48
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.