All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.33Trending at AU $49.44
- AU $77.99Trending at AU $116.29
- AU $70.24Trending at AU $77.15
- AU $73.79Trending at AU $76.54
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.56
- AU $40.75Trending at AU $42.35
About this product
- DescriptionThe world is full of germs, and the news is full of stories about infectious diseases and antibiotic-resistant superbugs. What can parents do to protect their children? Keeping Your Child Healthy in a Germ-Filled World gives parents the information they need to shield their kids from infections and keep their family healthy. Infections are harmful, but t all germs are bad. Dr. Athena P. Kourtis, a pediatrician and infectious disease specialist-and mother-teaches parents how to protect their kids without going overboard. She helps parents sort through the latest information about antibiotics, vaccines, hygiene, health foods, and home remedies, and she identifies which rules to follow-and which ones to igre. She says: * No to overprotecting your children from germs* No to antimicrobial soaps and cleaning products at home* No to over-prescribed antibiotics* Yes to strategic hand washing* Yes to being conscious of germs and the pathways they use* Yes to vaccines She offers tips for protecting your children wherever they are-at home or school, on the playground, while traveling-and whatever they are doing-playing sports, camping, visiting the beach-and answers questions that commonly worry parents. How many times should you wash prewashed spinach? (At least twice.) Does getting eugh sleep help fight infection? (Yes.) Are pre-sliced foods more likely to spread infection? (They are.) Reading this comprehensive, illustrated guide is the first step to keeping your family healthy. Up-to-date, accurate information and a clear understanding of how germs and our bodies work will help you and your child stay afloat in the microbial sea.
- Author BiographyAthena P. Kourtis, M.D., Ph.D., M.P.H., is a pediatrician and infectious diseases specialist, a scientist at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and an associate professor of pediatrics at the Emory University School of Medicine in Atlanta, Georgia, where she has practiced, taught, and researched pediatric infections for the past fifteen years. Dr. Kourtis has written nearly 100 professional publications, books, and book chapters on infections in children and has received many national and international awards for her work.
- Author(s)Athena P. Kourtis
- PublisherJohns Hopkins University Press
- Date of Publication18/10/2011
- SubjectFamily & Health: General
- Series TitleA Johns Hopkins Press Health Book
- Place of PublicationBaltimore, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintJohns Hopkins University Press
- Content Note23, 4 maps, 19 black & white line drawings
- Weight499 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Interest AgeFrom 17
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.