All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe art of kendo holds a special place within the Japanese martial arts. Meaning Way of the Sword, kendo is actively practiced today. Tens of thousands study it because kendo is one of the most physically and mentally challenging of all martial forms. Geoffrey Salmon is one of the few Westerners to successfully compete in kendo competitions and holds a 7th Dan black belt from the All Japan Kendo Federation. In Kendo: A Comprehensive Guide to Japanese Swordsmanship, Salmon dispels misconceptions about the sport and makes kendo training more accessible for newcomers. At its core, this book provides a series of highly detailed instructional sequences demonstrating all the basic kendo stick-fighting techniques. Along the way, Salmon presents the fundamental principles and philosophy which lie at the heart of kendo and make it as much a training of the mind as of the body. For many adherents, the principal goal in practicing kendo is to achieve a state of mushin (no-mind) as taught by the great Zen Buddhist masters of ancient China and Japan. Salmon's also explains how to integrate kendo training into your personal fitness routine. The first and only book to link the philosophical and mental elements of kendo to the rigorous physical training techniques, Kendo is indeed a comprehensive guide to this ancient and highly revered martial art form.
- Author Biography<b>Geoff Salmon</b> holds the All Japan Kendo Federation rank of Kyoshi and the grade of 7th Dan and has competed regularly in the prestigious Kyoto Taikai competitions. He teaches kendo in the UK and Europe and has held a number of key posts including chairman of the British Kendo Association and manager of the British National Kendo Squad. He has refereed at the European Championships on numerous occasions and also at the recent World Championships. He writes regularly about kendo on his popular blog www.kendoinfo.net. Salmon spent three years living and training in Japan, dividing his time between the Osaka Shudokan and several dojo in Hyogo. He was fortunate to study directly with several great 2nd generation kendo teachers including Matsumoto Toshio, Hanshi 9th Dan. He visits Japan often to further his knowledge of this sport.
- Author(s)Geoffrey Salmon
- PublisherTuttle Shokai Inc
- Date of Publication17/06/2013
- SubjectBoxing & Combat Sports
- Place of PublicationKanagawa
- Country of PublicationJapan
- ImprintTuttle Shokai Inc
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight340 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine18 mm
Most relevant reviews
- shodan_195605 Feb, 2015by
Highly impressed. A virtual vault of easily understood knowledge.
This text is an informative and detailed journey into the study of Japanese Swordsmanship. It is easy to read and understand and is supported by extensive diagramtic representations of the text discussions. This text has application to the inquisitive, the beginner and right on through the varying levels of experience. Excellent comprehensive work that is highly recommended to all.
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.37Trending at AU $49.47
- AU $74.26Trending at AU $76.60
- AU $22.10Trending at AU $23.03
- AU $35.49Trending at AU $39.06
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.56
- AU $17.58Trending at AU $23.07
- AU $37.61Trending at AU $38.86