All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.25
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.80
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.96
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.27
- AU $34.66Trending at AU $36.07
- AU $29.91Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $50.46Trending at AU $57.09
About this product
- DescriptionThe British campaign in the Sudan in Queen Victoria's reign is an epic tale of adventure more thrilling than any fiction. The story begins with the massacre of the 11,000 strong Hicks Pasha column in 1883. Sent to evacuate the country, British hero General Gordon was surrounded and murdered in Khartoum by a vast army of dervishes commanded by the Mahdi. The relief mission arrived two days too late. The result was a national scandal that shocked the Queen and led to the fall of the British government. Twelve years later it was the brilliant Herbert Kitchener who struck back. Achieving the impossible he built a railway across the desert to transport his troops to the final devastating confrontation at Omdurman in 1898. Desert explorer and author Michael Asher has reconstructed this classic tale in vivid detail. Having covered every inch of the ground and examined all eyewitness reports, he brings to bear new evidence questioning several accepted aspects of the story. The result is an account that sheds new light on the most riveting tale of hour, courage, revenge and savagery of late Victorian times.
- Author BiographyMichael Asher is one of Britain's most prominent desert explorers. He is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Literature and has won the Ness Award of the RGS and the Mungo Park Medal of the Royal Scottish Geographical Society. He is the author of eight books including the acclaimed Thesiger, Lawrence and The Real Story of Bravo Two Zero. He now lives in Nairobi in Kenya.
- Author(s)Michael Asher
- PublisherPenguin Books Ltd
- Date of Publication27/10/2005
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Out-of-print date13/05/2006
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight926 g
- Width161 mm
- Height243 mm
- Spine44 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.