Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $168.00Trending at AU $175.38
- AU $64.99Trending at AU $71.23
- AU $10.36Trending at AU $12.83
- AU $23.65Trending at AU $25.77
- AU $34.18Trending at AU $37.07
- AU $31.75Trending at AU $38.45
- AU $28.90Trending at AU $35.52
About this product
- DescriptionAlthough the exciting story of Evelyn's great-great grandfather had been told in the family through the years, one had ever put it on paper, so Hilton decided to write the entire story for her grandchildren. Kidnapped by Pirates is based on the true story of fourteen year-old Charles Tilton, who was kidnapped alone in 1814 from a New England whaler by some of Jean Lafitte's rogue pirates. They brought the boy to their Galveston Island base, just off the Texas coast and presented him to Lafitte as a ransom prize. Enraged that the men had attacked and American vessel and sailors, the French buccaneer had the disobedient men hung. He then offered Charles a job as cabin boy, which he accepted. Charles ended up staying for 6 exciting years of adventure! In 1820, the U.S. Government sent naval ships to disband the thousand-man base at Galveston but, before they arrived, the French buccaneer split all the spoils with his men and they all headed in different directions. Charles sailed up Texas' Trinity River, to Old River, then into Lost Lake where he and 3 friends buried his share of the gold and scuttled the schooner Lafitte had given him to avoid detection. He applied for a MX land grant, built a house on the bank, and later married and had nine children. He never forgot his exciting years with Lafitte, which are related in this intriguing book...
- Author BiographyHilton likes researching and writing about little-known heroic pioneers of our country, who went about their lives without distinguishment for their brave deeds. These individuals were dauntless in spirit and resolution, perceiving it an honor to serve God, country and family and finding happiness in their simple, though often difficult, life. Often, their story is filled with valor and is as adventurous and inspiring as is that of our famous American heroes. Evelyn Gill Hilton, born in Baytown, Texas, holds a B.A. and a Master of Education Degree from Sam Houston and Sul Ross Universities and has taught in Texas public schools for twenty-six years. She and her husband, Bob, have three children, Steven, Suzanne and David, who are now grown. When Evelyn and Bob retired she found time to pursue her hobbies of painting and writing at their country home between Brownwood and Bangs, Texas. When she is not researching, writing or drawing illustrations for her books, she is enjoying her six grandchildren or traveling with her husband. Hilton likes writing for young people because they are the future of our country and need all of the historical inspiration and moral guidance that we can give them. Kidnapped by Pirates is the first book of her Texas Trails Series and Annabelle and the Great Galveston Hurricane is the second. The third book, The Old 300 Wagontrain Kids, will be out in 2011. All of Hilton's books can be purchased from your favorite bookstore, Trafford Publishing Company, or from Hilton's own website, www.TexasTrailsBooks.com.
- Author(s)Evelyn Gill Hilton
- PublisherTrafford Publishing
- Date of Publication02/04/2010
- SubjectChildren's Fiction
- Place of PublicationVictoria
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintTrafford Publishing
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight177 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine6 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.