All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $30.28Trending at AU $32.13
- AU $74.97Trending at AU $77.01
- AU $12.53Trending at AU $13.05
- AU $46.02Trending at AU $53.13
- AU $28.95Trending at AU $31.76
- AU $12.16Trending at AU $14.05
- AU $12.24Trending at AU $15.03
About this product
- DescriptionKidnapped has become a classic of historical romance the world over and is justly famous as a vel of travel and adventure set deep in the Scottish landscape. Stevenson's vivid descriptive powers were never better than in this account of remote places and dangerous action in the Highlands in the years following Culloden.
- Author BiographyRobert Louis Stevenson (1850-94), was born and educated in Edinburgh. He was a sickly child, and most of his adult years were to be spent travelling in search of a climate which would do least damage to his lungs. Following the family tradition in civil engineering, he went to Edinburgh University in 1867. More interested in literature and the Bohemian life, he changed to law and qualified as an advocate in 1875. Thereafter he gave himself to his creative ambitions, with frequent visits to London and to France, where he met Fanny Osbourne, a married American woman who was to become his future wife. Stevenson began with essays, short stories and travel writing, most notably Travels with a Donkey in the Cevennes (1879). He went to California to marry Fanny in 1880. The journey nearly killed him, but he wrote of his experiences in Across the Plains (1892), The Amateur Emigrant (1895) and The Silverado Squatters (1883). He is, perhaps, best remembered for his first novel Treasure Island (1883), and his early reputation was made with this and other examples of adventure fiction, not least Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde which appeared as a paperback thriller in 1886.
- Author(s)Robert Stevenson
- PublisherCanongate Books Ltd
- Date of Publication18/09/2006
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Series TitleCanongate Classics
- Series Part/Volume Number38
- Place of PublicationEdinburgh
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCanongate Classics
- Weight279 g
- Width128 mm
- Height200 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edited byBarry Menikoff
- Introduction byBarry Menikoff
- Foreword byLouise Welsh
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
- Edition StatementMain
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.