All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionArguments abound about whether psychiatric medicines are over- or underprescribed, even as their use in childhood and adolescence has become commonplace. Kwing how various medicines work, their side effects and doses, will help parents understand their child's experience. And if you are considering medication for your child, the crucial question is, could it help? This book is an overview of the four groups of medicines most commonly used in child and adolescent psychiatry-for ADHD, depression and anxiety, psychosis, and mood disorders. It discusses t only the drugs but also how they work in the body, as well as the culture of today's medical practice. Kevin T. Kalikow offers measured advice on how to evaluate and treat young people with medicine and how to decide if medicine isn't the right course of action. It is essential reading for anyone who needs to wade through the complicated-and often contradictory-medical information about kids and drugs.
- Author BiographyKevin T. Kalikow, MD, is a child and adolescent psychiatrist who has been in private practice for 25 years. After attending Tulane University School of Medicine in New Orleans, Dr. Kalikow trained in General Psychiatry at New York Hospital-Cornell Medical Center, Westchester Division and in Child Psychiatry at Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons. He is currently Clinical Assistant Professor in Child Psychiatry at New York Medical College. He also lectures on child psychiatry at Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons. Dr. Kalikow has been interviewed and quoted in numerous publications, such as The New York Times and Ladies Home Journal . He has been interviewed on radio and television, including National Public Radio's The Diane Rehm Show.
- Author(s)Kevin T. Kalikow
- PublisherWW Norton & Co
- Date of Publication06/09/2011
- SubjectFamily & Health: General
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWW Norton & Co
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight880 g
- Width165 mm
- Height241 mm
- Spine33 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $12.99Trending at AU $19.32
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.53
- AU $12.82Trending at AU $13.83
- AU $36.81Trending at AU $38.16
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.69
- AU $20.18Trending at AU $24.51
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $33.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.