All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe poems in this highly anticipated second book are elegiac poems, as concerned with horing our dead as they are with praising the living. Through Aracelis Girmay's lens, everything is animal: the sea, a jukebox, the desert. In these poems, everything possesses a system of desire, hunger, a set of teeth, and language. These are poems about what is both difficult and beautiful about our time here on earth. Aracelis Girmay's debut collection won the Great Lakes Colleges Association New Writers Award. A Cave Canem Fellow, she is on the faculty at Drew University and Hampshire College. She lives in Brooklyn, New York.
- Author BiographyAracelis Girmay: Aracelis Girmay's debut poetry collection, Teeth, was published by Curbstone Press and was awarded the GLCA New Writers Award. Her poems have, most recently, been published in Black Renaissance Noir, Gulf Coast, A Public Space, & Callaloo, among other journals. A Cave Canem Fellow, she has received grants from the Jerome Foundation and the Watson Foundation. She is this year's recipient of the Isabella Gardner Poetry Award and was recently awarded a literature fellowship from the National Endowment for the Arts. Girmay is an Acentos Foundation board member and a contributing editor for The Massachusetts Review. She also writes, occasionally, for ELEM magazine, a lifestyle and arts magazine dedicated to the concerns and interests of the Eritrean community (in Eritrea and the diaspora). For the past nine years, Girmay has taught community writing workshops in her native California and in New York. She received her MFA from NYU in 2003 and is now on the faculty of both Drew University's low-residency Poetry MFA program and Hampshire College's School of Interdisciplinary Arts. Girmay grew up in Santa Ana, California and currently lives in New York.
- Author(s)Aracelis Girmay
- PublisherBOA Editions, Limited
- Date of Publication20/09/2011
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Series TitleAmerican Poets Continuum
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBOA Editions, Limited
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight185 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.57
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.97
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.24
- AU $46.35Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.05
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.33
- AU $31.65Trending at AU $34.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.