All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $46.25Trending at AU $49.67
- AU $3.73Trending at AU $7.42
- AU $27.04Trending at AU $31.43
- AU $70.89Trending at AU $80.38
- AU $19.24Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $22.60Trending at AU $23.16
- AU $17.07Trending at AU $23.51
About this product
- Description<i>Kitchen Table Series</i> is the first publication dedicated solely to this early and important body of work by the American artist Carrie Mae Weems. The 20 photographs and 14 text panels that make up <i>Kitchen Table Series</i> tell a story of one woman's life, as conducted in the intimate setting of her kitchen. The kitchen, one of the primary spaces of domesticity and the traditional domain of women, frames her story, revealing to us her relationships--with lovers, children, friends--and her own sense of self, in her varying projections of strength, vulnerability, aloofness, tenderness and solitude. As Weems describes it, this work of art depicts the battle around the family ... mogamy ... and between the sexes. Weems herself is the protagonist of the series, though the woman she depicts is an archetype. <i>Kitchen Table Series</i> seeks to reposition and reimagine the possibility of women and the possibility of people of color, and has to do with, in the artist's words, unrequited love. <br/><b>Carrie Mae Weems</b> (born 1953) is considered one of the most influential contemporary American artists. In a career spanning over 30 years, she has investigated family relationships, cultural identity, sexism, class, political systems and the consequences of power. Weems' complex body of art employs photographs, text, fabric, audio, digital images, installation and video. Weems has received numerous awards, grants and fellowships, including the prestigious MacArthur Genius grant and the Prix de Roma. She is represented in public and private collections around the world, including The Metropolitan Museum of Art, The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, The Museum of Modern Art and the Museum of Contemporary Art, Los Angeles.
- Author(s)Carrie Mae Weems,Sarah Lewis
- Date of Publication01/03/2016
- Place of PublicationBologna
- Country of PublicationItaly
- Weight1240 g
- Width248 mm
- Height345 mm
- Spine18 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.