All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.61
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $169.05
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $116.86
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.96
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.36
- AU $49.80Trending at AU $52.07
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $104.93
About this product
- DescriptionOur leading political biographer and author of the bestselling biography of Muldoon w writes a definitive life of ather prime minister, Keith Holyoake. One of our great farming politicians, Holyoake was Prime Minister for over eleven years chiefly in the 1960s, Goverr General from 1977 to 1980 and an MP for over 40 years. Though he was often derided as pompous and unprincipled, a master of consensus and compromise, Gustafson shows a man with astute understanding of people and political issues, skilled at defusing division and preserving order while encouraging gradual progress.He explores in depth Holyoake's performance as Minister of Foreign Affairs, his opposition to nuclear testing and his very reluctant commitment to assist the Americans in Vietnam. He shows his support of ecomic diversification and the strengthening of New Zealand's ecomy; of the liberalisation of the criminal law, of divorce laws, of licensing hours and of the establishment of an Ombudsman. He also covers Holyoake's impressive skills as a party politician and his love of hard work and lively debate, his pleasure in working with his hands especially at his property at Kinloch. Gustafson deftly sets this life in the context of a complex and changing society revealing Holyoake's ability to sense the spirit of the times, to exploit the luck that came his way and to stay in power for so long.
- Author BiographyBARRY GUSTAFSON, former professor of politics at the University of Auckland, is the author of a number of books including a history of the National Party and acclaimed biographies of Savage and Muldoon.
- Author(s)Barry Gustafson
- PublisherAuckland University Press
- Date of Publication01/11/2007
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationAuckland
- Country of PublicationNew Zealand
- ImprintAuckland University Press
- Content Note6 picture sections
- Weight1075 g
- Width168 mm
- Height255 mm
- Spine39 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.