All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThrough the words and pictures of original source texts of the great German fight masters of the 14th through 16th centuries - extraordinary works that poetically preserved medieval methods of armed combat - it reveals knightly dueling for what it truly was: mortal combat over some grave matter with battlefield weaponry and armour. Until w, single book has encompassed and clarified the scattered existing historical information on German dueling with swords, lances, daggers, pollaxes and other weapons. Knightly Dueling shows the ruthless reality of man-to-man combat of the German Kunst des Fechtens (art of fighting), providing a thorough understanding of horse fighting and duel fighting. It gives Middle High German transcriptions, as well as the first and only modern English translations, of works from various fight books by Liechtenauer's rewned masterly interpreters, including Hanko Dobringer, Peter von Danzig, Hans Talhoffer and Andre Lignitzer. The book also presents an illustrated blow-by-blow account of a deadly duel from a German Fechtbuch (fight book); primary source information regarding specific training of blemen for duels and the training of ble youth in the combat arts; and a unique glossary of historical German chivalric terms for arms and armour. Lavishly illustrated with many pieces of period artwork, Knightly Dueling restores the concept of German chivalry to its rightful martial role and is a must for any serious scholar of the dynamic field of European martial arts. About the Authors Jeffrey Hull, Monika Maziarz and Grzegorz Zabinski are all leading experts on Medieval European martial arts.
- Author BiographyGrzegorz Zabinski is a medievalist from Upper Silesia in Poland. Apart from medieval and early Renaissance military history and martial arts, his fields of interest include problems of medieval social and economic history, with special reference to the Cistercian order. He is currently working on a Ph.D. dissertation on early 16th-century comments on the swordsmanship treatise of Johannes Liechtenauer.
- Author(s)Jeffrey Hull
- PublisherPaladin Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication15/10/2009
- LanguageEnglish & German, Middle High (ca. 1050-1500)
- SubjectBoxing & Combat Sports
- Place of PublicationColorado
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPaladin Press,U.S.
- Content NoteIllustrated throughout
- Weight726 g
- Width216 mm
- Height280 mm
- Spine18 mm
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.90Trending at AU $23.01
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $75.38
- AU $32.85Trending at AU $36.70
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.07
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.48
- AU $17.43Trending at AU $19.79
- AU $44.07Trending at AU $51.53
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.