All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $3.76Trending at AU $7.37
- AU $27.80Trending at AU $30.75
- AU $21.95Trending at AU $26.80
- AU $29.31Trending at AU $31.85
- AU $70.90Trending at AU $79.91
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $15.68
- AU $26.39Trending at AU $26.97
About this product
- DescriptionDorothy Smith is considered one of the most original sociologists and theorists of our time, and her writings have attracted much attention in Europe and the US as well as in Canada. This collection of original essays, written by scholars who worked or studied with Smith, exemplifies Smith's approach to social analysis.Each author takes an empirical approach. Some analyse texts (the maps and documents of land-use planning, photographs, an influential history of British India, reports of a task force on battered women); some draw on interviews (with clerical workers, with Japanese corporate wives), while others (an AIDS activist, a teacher of adult literacy, a social worker) reflect on personal experiences. In each case we are introduced to specific themes in Smith's approach. The essays put Smith's method to work in diverse ways and in the process offer intriguing insights into their topics.This tribute to Smith's empowering contribution as a thinker and teacher reveals how empirical studies can illuminate concepts usually presented in the abstract. As the first compilation of applications of Smith's methodology, this is a landmark work in the developing field of the social organization of kwledge.
- Author BiographyMarie L. Campbell is a professor emeritus in the Faculty of Human and Social Development at the University of Victoria. Ann Manicom is an associate professor in the School of Education, Dalhousie University.
- PublisherUniversity of Toronto Press
- Date of Publication11/07/1995
- SubjectPolitical Science & Theory
- Place of PublicationToronto
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintUniversity of Toronto Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight470 g
- Width152 mm
- Height227 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Edited byAnn Manicom,Marie L. Campbell
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.