All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWritten at a time of uncertainty about the implications of the English government's curriculum policies, Kwledge and the Future School engages with the debate between the government and large sections of the educational community. It provides a forward-looking framework for head teachers, their staff and those involved in training teachers to use when developing the curriculum of individual schools in the context of a national curriculum. While explaining recent ideas in the sociology of educational kwledge, the authors draw on Michael Young's earlier research with Johan Muller to distinguish three models of the curriculum in terms of their assumptions about kwledge, referred to in this book as Future 1, Future 2 and Future 3. They link Future 3 to the idea of 'powerful kwledge' for all pupils as a curriculum principle for any school, arguing that the question of kwledge is intimately linked to the issue of social justice and that access to 'powerful kwledge' is a necessary component of the education of all pupils. Kwledge and the Future School offers a new way of thinking about the problems that head teachers, their staff and curriculum designers face. In charting a course for schools that goes beyond current debates, it also provides a perspective that policy makers should t avoid.
- Author BiographyMichael Young is Emeritus Professor at the Institute of Education, University of London, UK. His recent books include Knowledge, Expertise and the Professions (edited with Johan Muller, 2014), Implementing National Qualification Frameworks (edited with Stephanie Allais, 2013) and Bringing Knowledge Back In (2008). David Lambert is Professor of Geography Education in the Department of Curriculum, Pedagogy and Assessment, Institute of Education, University of London, UK. He is former Chief Executive of the Geographical Association, UK. Carolyn Roberts is Head Teacher, Thomas Tallis School, UK. Martin Roberts is Consultant to The Prince's Teaching Institute and former Head Teacher, The Cherwell School, UK.
- Author(s)Carolyn Roberts,David Lambert,Martin Roberts,Michael Young
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication25/09/2014
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBloomsbury Academic
- Weight330 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $75.20
- AU $65.90Trending at AU $72.08
- AU $64.90Trending at AU $71.02
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.83
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.26
- AU $57.95Trending at AU $58.87
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $112.98
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.