All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.00Trending at AU $19.09
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.48
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.31
- AU $36.79Trending at AU $38.13
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.65
- AU $20.18Trending at AU $24.49
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $33.64
About this product
- DescriptionA useful introduction to the popular Australian icon, Koala: The Story of Australia's Native Bear offers a brief history on its first discovery and published reference by European settlers, the fur trade and resulting outcry to prevent its extinction, and the koala's place of importance in Aboriginal folklore. Scientific facts about the koala's characteristics, traits, and temperament are discussed. Barrett's affection for the animal comes through in his numerous references to its delightful qualities-whether in describing the little orphan koala Edward at the breakfast table, or in interspersing text with comparisons to the beloved teddy bear-thus cementing the koala as one of the most revered creatures kwn to man. This timeless reference book has become a classic for all ages, and a valuable addition to the bookshelf of any nature enthusiast or collector of arcane Australiana. This title is a republication of the second edition, originally published in 1937.
- Author BiographyCharles Leslie Barrett (1879-1959) was a naturalist, ornithologist, journalist, travel writer, and magazine editor who wrote more than 50 books about the fauna and flora of Australia and Papua New Guinea. A prolific author and Australian icon in his own right, he was remembered as a courteous man who always went out of his way to be friendly and cooperative, and an inveterate pipe-smoker who enjoyed spinning a good yarn. He wrote for the Melbourne Herald for thirty-three years, and edited the nature and travel books published by the Herald and Weekly Times. Many of his books were published after he left the Herald in 1939. Among his many other titles are: Australia's Wonder Animals, Australian Birds and Butterflies, An Australian Wild Flower Book, An Australian Animal Book, and Wildlife of Australia and New Guinea.
- Author(s)Charles Barrett
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication13/12/2008
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectNatural History: Animal & Wildlife
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight82 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine3 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.