All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.82
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.80
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.86
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $36.95
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $47.10
- AU $24.91Trending at AU $28.23
- AU $9.81Trending at AU $13.31
About this product
- DescriptionWas La Comtesse de Segur a sadist, as many critics have suggested? True, there are as many whips in her vels as in a torture chamber. The pages are filled with illustrations befitting of sado-masochistic fantasies: cruel parents and guardians flagellating half-naked children. This in-depth study is a defense of this misunderstood and misrepresented nineteenth-century French author. It explores specific accusations of sadism against Segur and reinterprets the violent scenes in her vels against the backdrop of these accusations.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Lisette Luton is Assistant Professor of French at Charleston Southern University. She received her Ph.D. in French from the University of Virginia. She has been a member of the Children's Literature Association since 1991 and has presented papers on Segur at its annual conferences.
- Author(s)Lisette Luton
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication01/10/1999
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleCurrents in Comparative Romance Languages & Literatures
- Series Part/Volume Number83
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published1999
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight310 g
- Width160 mm
- Height230 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.