All listings for this product
Save on Audio Books
- AU $28.19Trending at AU $28.54
- AU $25.20Trending at AU $36.67
- AU $45.20Trending at AU $49.55
- AU $44.90Trending at AU $48.40
- AU $35.89Trending at AU $37.07
- AU $42.29Trending at AU $46.12
- AU $25.76Trending at AU $33.06
About this product
- DescriptionIt's an elemental, almost animalistic urge-the expectant mother's hunger for birth narratives. Bookstores are filled with month-by-month pregnancy manuals, but the shelves are virtually empty of artful, entertaining, unvarnished accounts of labor and delivery-the stories that new mothers need most. Here is a book that transcends the limits of how-to guides and hors the act of childbirth in the twenty-first century. Elear Henderson and Anna Solomon have gathered true birth stories by women who have made self-expression their business, including Cheryl Strayed, Julia Glass, Lauren Groff, Dani Shapiro, and many other luminaries. In Labor Day, you'll hear about women determined to give birth naturally and others begging for epidurals; women who pushed for hours and women whose labors were over practically before they'd started; women giving birth to twins and to ten-pound babies. These women give birth in the hospital, at home, in bathtubs, and, yes, even in the car. Some revel in labor, some fear labor, some feel defeated by labor, some are fulfilled by it-and all are amazed by it. You will laugh, weep, squirm, perhaps groan in recognition, and undoubtedly gasp with surprise. And then you'll call every mother or mother-to-be that you kw and say You must read Labor Day.
- Author BiographyEleanor Henderson is the award-winning author of Ten Thousand Saints, which was named one of the Top 10 Books of 2011 by the New York Times and was a finalist for the Los Angeles Times Book Prize. She lives in Ithaca, New York, with her husband and sons. Anna Solomon is the award-winning author of the critically acclaimed novel The Little Bride. Anna's fiction has appeared in One Story, the Georgia Review, the Harvard Review, the Missouri Review, Shenandoah, and elsewhere. She lives in Providence, Rhode Island. Cris Dukehart is an award-winning storyteller who has narrated books in a wide variety of genres, from romance and science fiction to children's literature and autobiography. She can also be heard in commercials, e-learning projects, and corporate narrations. Hillary Huber is a multiple Audie Award finalist, an AudioFile Earphones Award winner, and an AudioFile Best Voice. She has recorded close to three hundred titles, spanning many genres.
- Author(s)Anna Solomon,Eleanor Henderson
- PublisherTantor Media, Inc
- Date of Publication15/04/2014
- SubjectBiography: General
- Place of PublicationOld Saybrook, CT
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTantor Media, Inc
- Out-of-print date14/04/2017
- Weight79 g
- Width163 mm
- Height137 mm
- Spine27 mm
- Narrator(s)Cris Dukehart,Hillary Huber
- Format DetailsCD standard audio format
- Running Time580
- Edition StatementUnabridged CD
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.