All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $96.53
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $69.55Trending at AU $86.07
About this product
- DescriptionWinner of the 2011 ALLA Book Award horable mention! Labor and Legality: An Ethgraphy of a Mexican Immigrant Network is an ethgraphy of undocumented immigrants who work as busboys at a Chicago-area restaurant. Ruth Gomberg-Muz introduces readers to the Lions, ten friends from Mexico committed to improving their fortunes and the lives of their families. Set in and around Il Vi, a restaurant that could stand in for many places that employ undocumented workers, Labor and Legality reveals the faces behind the war being waged over illegal aliens in America. Gomberg-Muz focuses on how undocumented workers develop a wide range of social strategies to cultivate financial security, nurture emotional well-being, and promote their dignity and self-esteem. She also reviews the political and historical circumstances of undocumented migration, with an emphasis on post-1970 socioecomic and political conditions in the United States and Mexico. Labor and Legality is one of several volumes in the Issues of Globalization: Case Studies in Contemporary Anthropology series, which examines the experiences of individual communities in our contemporary world. Each volume offers a brief and engaging exploration of a particular issue arising from globalization and its cultural, political, and ecomic effects on certain peoples or groups. Ideal for introductory anthropology courses-and as supplements for a variety of upper-level courses-these texts seamlessly combine portraits of an interconnected and globalized world with narratives that emphasize the agency of their subjects.
- Author BiographyRuth Gomberg-Munoz is Adjunct Assistant Professor of Anthropology at the University of Illinois at Chicago. Her work has been published in American Anthropologist and the Journal for Latino-Latin American Studies.
- Author(s)Assistant Professor Ruth Gomberg-Munoz,Ruth Gomberg-Muoz
- PublisherOxford University Press Australia
- Date of Publication25/08/2010
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectPolitics: General & Reference
- Series TitleIssues of Globalization: Case Studies in Contemporary Anthropology (Paperback)
- Place of PublicationMelbourne
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- First Published2010
- ImprintOUP Australia and New Zealand
- Content Notemaps, figures
- Weight204 g
- Width137 mm
- Height206 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Trade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound,Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.